Natural sunscreens are safer for both us and the environment. Other than the differences in ingredients, it’s important to note how natural and chemical sunscreens work.
Natural and chemical sunscreens work quite differently. Zinc and titanium are natural minerals which sit on top of the skin and act rather like tiny mirrors,
reflecting UV rays off the skin. As long as you don’t wipe or wash them off, they will reflect UV rays pretty much indefinitely.
(above: natural sunscreen acts as a barrier reflecting UV rays off the skin)
Chemical screens, on the other hand, absorb the UV rays. They can only absorb for so long until they are essentially 'full' and so stop working. They are also absorbed into the skin and may cause hormone disruption and DNA damage.
(above: chemical sunscreen acts like 'cups' on the skin and, once full, they stop working. If not reapplied, chemical screens may accelerate sun damage.)
Natural sunscreens, like Snowberry’s, use the inert minerals Zinc Oxide, and/or Titanium Dioxide. Of the two, Zinc Oxide is often preferred (and is what
is in Snowberry's sunscreen) because it doesn’t have to be reduced to nano size to become invisible on skin, and because it is effective against both
UVB and UVA. Titanium Dioxide only blocks UVB rays, not UVA rays, so is not a broad spectrum sunscreen on its own.
Interestingly, Zinc Oxide is the only active sunscreen ingredient approved by the FDA for infants under six months, which just goes to show how safe it is.
Don’t risk it, choose natural!
Key points to take note about Snowberry’s SPF30 Everyday Sunscreen:
- 100% Natural, based on the inert mineral, Zinc oxide.
- Uses micro-sized Zinc oxide particles for a physical block to UVA & UVB rays.
- Free of nasties (no chemical screens such as Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, nano particles, petrochemicals).
- Certified broad spectrum against UVA & UVB & to AS/NZS 2604 standard.
- Certified SPF30 by the international ISO 24443 standard.
- Fragrance free.
- Skin, body (hormones) and coral friendly.
- Light, non-greasy & invisible (no white residue).
- Non-comedogenic - formulated so as not to cause blocked pores.
- Also contains a special blend of NZ botanicals, soothing moisturisers and antioxidants.
- Snowberry uses only plant-derived preservatives.
- 100% Plant based tube (made from vegetable PE). While we are getting there when the technology allows, the closure is PP. One day soon we expect the whole tube assembly will be plant based and free of hydrocarbon derived material.